Sunday, October 18, 2009

Uniforms and Badges

The other day, I am a little ashamed to say (although shame is technically a useless emotion when it comes to well-being), I was driving to bring my recyclables to the recycle center and I passed a man about to go into a convenience store.

Okay, I just read that sentence and you would think I was ashamed to pass a man going into a convenience store.  Or maybe it's the start of some joke. I passed a man going into a convenience store... (and what does this have to do with uniforms and badges?)

I was surprised to find my knee-jerk judgment of this man as being a "hood", whatever that is.

First, do I really know what a "hood" is?  Is it in the dictionary?  Does it have a wiki page?  Okay, no wiki page, but the urban dictionary does offer a definition.

Second, while I had some sort of awareness and nebulous idea of what "hood" is before checking out the urban dictionary, I had to ask myself what it was that made me make this judgment, especially since I'd just noticed a woman walk into the same convenience store and offered no such judgment.

The answer...at least for me...what he was wearing.

My next thought: "How sad is that?"

It got me to thinking about our choices of clothing as a statement to the extent that it could be considered a uniform and the box, perhaps unknowingly, we can place ourselves in by doing so.  You know, in regards to freedom.

And is freedom...true, 100% unbridled freedom really possible or is it just as nebulous as my idea of "hood"? Or some sort of dangled ideal that keeps us fighting to protect it even though it seems near impossible to be or experience?

It got me thinking about people, such as celebrities who we idolize and feel must have perks us mere mortals don't possess (and what a slippery slope it is if we really buy into this type of belief), really don't have 100% freedom.  We judge them mercilessly.  We expect them to act and look a certain way, especially when it comes to award shows.  Actually, if you think of shows like TMZ, which might I say that I watch.  I call it my crack TV, 'cuz I know it probably isn't good for me but I am hooked and must watch. They almost have to be "on" all the time 'cuz they never know where a lens might be to capture their "screw up" or perceived fashion faux pas.

Then it got me to thinking about uniforms and badges.  Do they serve a purpose?  And like any awesome attorney worth their hourly fee, I feel one could argue both sides with equal fervor.

Without saying a word, a uniform and badge (and what first comes to mind is a police/peace officer), lets us know that this is someone who has sworn to serve and protect us.  Okay, as I write this I am getting a little worked up 'cuz who are they protecting me from?  Myself!  I grew up in the era where I didn't have to wear seat belts or bike helmets and the like.  If I died or got hurt, then its on me.  Wow!  Speak about freedom.  I don't want the law telling me "I MUST!"  Where is the freedom in that?  And the only reason I wear my seat belt is 'cuz I don't want the ticket.

Click it or ticket.  There.  When I am a billionaire I will drive without a seat belt and they can ticket me all they want.

I still ride my bike without a helmet, when I ride.  I suppose technically, I still do have the freedom to say I'm not going to do it, bring on the ticket.  (note to universe: I really do not want tickets.  I enjoy a ticket free life...at least the kind that don't get me into a sporting event or concert or movie or something like that I'd enjoy attending.)

Aaaaaaagggghhhhh!  Mind cuisine is meant to be a tasty dish and instead, this is starting to make my head hurt.

So....never mind!

I know!  You're probably thinking, "I wish I could.  Now it is too late."

Luckily we are eternal, divine beings (the truth of our energetic self), so we have the time to spare.

Insert some lovely elevator music here for the intermission.  And now...

...as I was doing my yoga, I remembered my point: mental shorthand.  Yeah!

Still, a double edge sword.  Great that if you dress a certain way then people can assume certain things about you that you don't have to take the time to explain.  Yesterday, I was proudly wearing my Angels t-shirt and visor to show my support for our team (even though they lost).  So, you knew I must be an Angel fan (or it would be a fairly good clue) and might be happy to approach me knowing we could mention our love for the Angels and immediately have a rapport.  And yet, (and I do it too, although I am seeking to stop) according to my look (even my age for that matter) you may never spend the time to scratch the surface of what my "uniforms and badges" might give you a clue is who I am to understand that there is a really deep, creamy center that thinks all sorts of big thoughts.  Remember, I am a member of the "Big Think".

I'm not trying to change your beliefs or defend my ponderings (I am not even sure I made any sort of decision having pondered such things).  How do I really know?  And maybe that is the amazing thing about our Universe.  Actually, I thought that might be another one of the "Ultimate Mind F***'s we've ever perpetrated on our human race. What if we spend our lives on the hamster wheel trying to figure out and run the race with the hope of getting it "right" (whatever that means) ONLY to realize that it is impossible because in Divine Mind the concept of right and wrong doesn't exist.  It's good/right if you believe it is.  It's not if you believe it is.

If you have read this far, I hope that somehow with the last couple of paragraphs and remembering my point about all of this you now feel less like I have wasted your time.  Although, what if even that (the concept of being able to waste time) is just as much of a "Mind F***" as thinking we can get it right.  Not the sort of dessert one might expect at the end of a meal of fine cuisine.  Still, a tasty dish I hope, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment