Friday, January 8, 2010

Proof


The other day I wrote a blog post which included me writing about "ars gratia artis".  These are three of those dead language words aka latin which are translated as "arts for arts sake".  The work is complete in itself.

I mention this because when I created the photo I include with this blog, it was really for me and mostly by accident.  I mean yes, I had my camera and I pointed it at this subject matter.  Yet it still seems like some of it is pure luck and I most likely could not create this exact photo again.  Okay, maybe I just need some self-esteem medication or some medication.

What I am getting at is I would have taken the photo anyway.  I am thrilled with it and was happy to use it with my L.A. Sightseeing Examiner article I did about Gandhi's birthday.  So when I found out this photo was chosen to be included in the Schmap Los Angeles Guide's Ninth Edition, well that was pure gravy my friend.  And I have to say it tasted soooo goooooood.

Then my wonderful part of me that is my mind took an interesting turn as I thought about this chain of events.  Why am I so willing to blindly believe that in the sarcophogus (depicted in the above photo) are some of the ashes from Mahatma Gandhi's physical body?

That question isn't even really my true debate and why this seemed perfect as a tasty dish of some mind cuisine to blog about.  To me the tasty dish is what showed up next.  While for the most part I feel I could make a pretty good argument as to why whether I believe Gandhi's ashes are in the sarcophagus or not most likely doesn't effect the quality of my life too much; there are probably a huge amount of other beliefs I have simply ingested as truth without proof that would potentially have a massive impact on the quality of my life.

I'm trying to think of a for instance.  C'mon!  I know there must be one in there somewhere.  Okay, one showed up but...okay, I guess I'll use it.  If you masturbate too much you'll go blind.  Wait!  Here's a better one.  All the parents who have convinced their children that they can get sick from being cold.  Science has proven this is a falsehood.  Yet, the mind controls the body and if you believe it to be so.  So be it!

Then my mind went one step further.  How can I explain this as succinctly as possible?  There were a lot of things I used to do to prove to myself that I was spiritual.  That I was good.  That I was good enough.  I'm not sure good enough for what, but good enough.  That was until the day I found out that there is absolutely nothing I can do to prove I am spiritual.  Okay, wait!  There is absolutely nothing I need to do to prove I am spiritual or to feel more spiritual or to be more spiritual.  Spiritual is who I AM by divine definition.

This truth really rocked my world.  It truly proved to me the truth that all men and women are created equal...equal in the eyes of Divine Love Intelligence (Agape's way of saying "God").  The same, yet different.  All endowed with the same tools, yet expressing them uniquely.

This got me to thinking things like when I see someone driving a Mercedes, I used to have the immediate connection that this means they must be rich.  And sadly, a sort of corollary affirmation that since I don't drive a Mercedes that I am not rich.  Again, driving a Mercedes doesn't necessarily prove one way or another that someone is rich.  For that matter not driving a Mercedes doesn't necessarily prove one way or another that someone is not rich.  All it really proves is that particular child of Divine Love Intelligence is driving a Mercedes at this particular moment in space/time.

It also got me to thinking that if I am just as spiritual as you are or conversely you are just as spiritual as I am and there can be no "more spiritual" or "less spiritual" beings ever, which means if you think of the most spiritual being EVER you can think of...well, you are as spiritual as that being is.  You always will be.  Amen.

It also got me to thinking that technically there can be no degrees of wealth.  Simply different ways of defining and expressing.  Think of the wealthiest person you can think of.  From the standpoint of spiritual truth that person is no more or less wealthy than you except that you believe it to be true.  They are the same as you simply expressing differently.  Sort of levels the playing field, eh?

I love when I enjoy these sorts of "ars gratia artis" mind cuisine dishes.  And if my sharing these dishes with cyberspace satisfies anothers mind cuisine appetite in some way...well, you just know I am going to enjoy that "gravy" with joy, love, appreciation and most importantly...guilt-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment